Tuesday, July 9, 2013

"No (wo)man is an island" {unless she eats a whole pizza on her own. That's definitely island status}

It really sucks to do things on your own. {For me, at least.}

I am definitely a people person, and although I {adore} days by myself where good books are involved, I would much rather be with friends or family, even if it means sitting around just looking at each other {or, as we've gotten older, everyone in the same room but on their own mac-something or another.}

As my first post explained, I've struggled with my "mind weight" {OMG, You're only 5' 2'', if only my legs were longer, blah blah blah}my whole life. It's hard to get out of your own head and allow people to help you, even when you ARE a people person. I think it's the stubborn and prideful side of me. For example, I never wanted a "workout buddy", simply because I thought that little of myself! I didn't WANT anyone "watching" me run {like I'm really that interesting?}
{My sister once compared my running to an infant waddling in a dirty diaper...for real though}


Anyways, I like to be {The BEST} at whatever I do, so it was hard for me to workout and play pick up games with friends because I didn't want anyone to catch onto the fact that I'm not that naturally athletically inclined.

Enter this guy.
{Michael, everyone. Everyone, Batman?} 

Among all the other beautiful things he is to me, I would feel like a fake continuing in this blog adventure without giving him a huge shout out in the fitness category.  {Like, for real y'all, this guy is the REASON I am where I am today.} 

Once I realized this man had the same want to better himself that I did {plus the motivation to back it up, which I greatly lacked} I began to realize that I totally didn't care that Michael saw me drenched, stinky {I'm talking STANK}, and lumbering around his apartment while we both attempted our first round of Insanity about a year and a half ago. {Me? Doing Insanity? Cue the thought that it's super hard to do this on your own and someone else's motivation can be your start!}
{motivation at its finest}

As we continued in Insanity, we also joined a gym. I am thankful that he FORCED me off the silly treadmill where all the other girls naturally place themselves while their boys are lifting, and it became habit for me to follow him around the gym, mimicking whatever he lifted. {With his help, of course. My form was laughable at the beginning.}  

When I say YOU can lift weights because I can, I {MEAN IT.} Poor Michael, he literally spent 3587534x the amount of effort and time at the gym to help me simply lift the weights correctly than he would have had to if he had gone by himself. I'm saying, I didn't even understand how to HOLD the weights in my HANDS when we first started. I would whine, cry, and holler at him, telling him I couldn't hold up whatever {very reasonable} weights he placed on me instead of just DOING the reps. {Like... this happened in public at the gym, and the guy stuck around. Impressive on many levels.}

All of this to say, if you can FIND that person that you feel the most comfortable with and they want to better themselves as much as it is important to you {plus it helps if you like each other a little bit}... then grab on tight and allow yourselves to {learn}, {support}, and {motivate} one another. 




No comments:

Post a Comment